Thursday 8 May 2008

The plastic bag

Recently there has been so much talk on the plastic bag. Usually it's all about how they damage the environment.

It's been known for a long time that plastic bags can harm and even kill animals, because they can suffocate them. They are also a danger to young children for the same reason.

According to this article by The Daily Mail, plastic bags are affecting animals every where. When they swallow the bags, it ends up making them starve and they die a slow and painful death. Because of these deaths, many people are calling for a ban of plastic bags in the UK.

A village in South Devon has become the first to ban plastic bags completely. They have their own limited edition Modbury bag, which is now a collectors item. So if a little village can switch over to re-usable bags, can the rest of us?

To be honest, I don't think it matters if we can or not. I'm just so surprised that they haven't tried to find a way of recycling plastic bags. I always keep some plastic bags in my room for my little bin and I think it's a great way of re-using them, but I can't keep every single one given to me in my room; I'd end up with nothing else in it.

Conserve India have thought up a good way to use plastic bags. They use creativity to make them into fashion bags and accessories. What's more, they're even trying to help people in poor communities.

Let me know what you think about this. Could you be bothered to pay for a re-usable plastic bag? Can you re-use the free plastic bags? Do you think it's worth switching?

2 comments:

Wulfy said...

Again, I try to re-use them in my bins and such. A good idea is the bag for life that Waitrose (and others) offer.

I've not been to Modbury, but what an amusing concept... antisocial behaviour!

Anonymous said...

I think that if you buy a re-usable plastic bag it is a good investment because you can always take it to the supermarket with you, and therefore you are protecting the environment. I do re-use my plastic bags, also for my little bin, but as you say there is only so many plastic bags I can keep in my tiny room.