Wednesday 7 May 2008

Would you have an eco-friendly wedding?

I was browsing the Internet for some eco-events, when I came across this idea about having an eco-friendly wedding. There are a lot of websites dedicated to these eco-friendly weddings, but I'm just wondering if this is the right idea for someone like me.


So how do we create an eco-friendly wedding?


There are a number of things that the bride and groom can do before the big day to make sure their eco-friendly wedding is as eco-friendly as possible. Here are a few tips:


* Grow your own wedding flowers
* Choose local food and drink suppliers
* Ask for eco-friendly wedding gifts
* Use eco-friendly stationery to write your invitations and thank you cards


The list just goes on and it covers the simplest things; things a non-married woman like me doesn't think about. But, here's my question: how do you make your eco-friendly wedding dress eco-friendly?


According to this website, the eco-friendliest way is to buy or borrow second-hand. In my opinion, I would never want to buy a second-hand dress from anywhere; who knows what's happened in it.


They also suggest buying your wedding dress in a vintage shop. Well, it's a good idea, but not everyone finds something they like in a vintage shop; it's called vintage for a reason.


Oxfam is also used as a suggestion for buying eco-friendly wedding dresses; I'm all for helping people out who are less fortunate than myself, but... no!


A better suggestion is to find a designer who knows how to buy eco-friendly materials and get your eco-friendly dress made. I would consider having my dress made, because it's exactly what a wedding dress is all about; it's all about originality, being yourself and making yourself look gorgeous.


Maybe an eco-friendly wedding can work, but I think you've got to be pretty laid back about it, as so many things could go wrong. But then again, what wedding doesn't have its ups and downs?

2 comments:

Wulfy said...

I always think buying locally is better anyway, for the economy if not the environment.

Anonymous said...

I would never buy my wedding dress from Oxfam. I'm sorry but my wedding is about me and I just wouldn't feel comfortable knowing that someone has already been married wearing MY dress. But things such as eco-friendly wedding gifts sound like a good idea, and also getting your dress made by an eco-friendly designer seems good.